We'd love to be able to include as many voices on this site as we can! We're interested in reminiscences about people's experience with prostate play, "How To" articles of the sort we've already posted, and reviews of toys suitable for prostate play. If you'd like to share some of your own experience, then please let us know by commenting on the appropriate page. We'll get back in touch by email.

Friday, February 14, 2014

Dr. Joel Kaplan Versatile Prostate Stimulator: A Reasonably Good Prostate Vibrator

Once I manage to get this toy in the right position, I'm able to orgasm with it repeatedly, so that's great. But getting it into the right position, and keeping it there, is more difficult than it ought to be. So, I find myself using this toy less than I otherwise might.
The Dr. Joel Kaplan Versatile Prostate Stimulator, from California Exotic Novelties, is obviously intended to be used by people with prostates. That said, I've seen what looks to be the same device advertised as a G-spot stimulator, and most P-spot vibrators will happily double as G-spot vibrators. So, it's likely that it can also be used that way. Since I've only got a prostate, though, I'll focus my review on that kind of use.

The basic idea here is pretty simple: You insert the smaller end into the rectum, so that the tip comes in contact with the prostate. Then, you turn on the vibrator, lay back, and enjoy yourself. There are ten different settings for the vibrator, so you can cycle through those and find the one you like the best at that particular moment.


Design

Like many P-spot toys, this one has two parts: an insertable part, and what we'll call the handle. The idea is to insert the insertable part with the handle towards the front of the body.
The insertable part is about 3.5 inches long, and is about 7/8 inch wide at the widest point. So, it should be very easy to insert, even for a beginner. It has some small bumps along the surface, which don't have any effect as far as I can feel. It's also gently curved up towards the belly and prostate, when inserted in the way I described.
The handle is about 6 inches long. It has two controls at the top: an on/off switch, and another button that cycles you through the various vibration patterns. There are ten of these: three different intensities of pure vibration, and seven different patterns of various pulses that I would happily describe if I could figure out how.
On the outside, the toy is made from a soft plastic or rubber. It's smooth, and there are no noticeable seams on mine. I don't know quite what's on the inside, but the overall feel is firm though pliable. It's rigid, but not hard, if you know what I mean. I've used both water- and silicone-based lubes without incident. One only needs enough lube with this to get it in comfortably, anyway, as there's no real need for movement while it is inserted. It's not clear to me whether the plastic shell is porous. If you're thinking about sharing it, you should probably use a condom, though, anyway.
The recommended cleaning regimen is water and antibacterial soap. That's what I've used, and it's worked fine for me.
The vibrator itself is in the insertable part, which is important. It get the vibrations directly to where they need to be. (Many toys get this wrong.) The vibrator is powered by two 1.5V, size N batteries, which are housed in the handle. I've also seen these called "half AA", as if you put two of them together you get something AA sized. These are not the easiest things in the world to find, but two of them are included, so you won't have that problem right away. Still, if you like it, stock up. It doesn't run through batteries any faster than anything else I've used, BUT. If you've ever had a toy die on you just as you were getting to where you wanted to go, you know but what.
The vibrator is very quiet and should not be audible through a closed door, even when it's not inserted. When it is inserted, of course, it becomes even quieter, though you may not be! As far as power goes, it's powerful enough for me, though there are times when I wouldn't mind a little more oomph.
The whole toy is quite flexible. In particular, the insertable part can bend towards or away from the handle. It's easy to fold the whole thing up, so that the insertable part contacts the handle, or to bend it down so that it makes a right angle. As I will mention shortly, this is not necessarily a good thing.


Evaluation

I have mixed feelings about the "Dr Joel Kaplan Versatile Prostate Stimulator". On the one hand, I've had my fun with it. I've had plenty of orgasms with it during the time that I've owned it. I like the different vibration settings, and will sometimes play a little game of making myself cum at least once on each setting. I've done that a few times. So the thing works. Right?
On the other hand, however, I find the toy harder to use than it should be. If I just insert it, the business end of the toy doesn't come into firm enough contact with my prostate to do what I need it to do. For one thing, the curve is not sharp enough. As I said, it's fairly gentle, and the best toys I know have enough of a curve that they kind of "cup" the prostate, with the tip of the toy even working around behind the prostate a bit. I wonder if this toy, like many, wasn't originally designed as a G-spot stimulator, for which (perhaps) the curve is just right.
The more important reason the Kaplan stimulator is hard to use is that it is just too flexible. I like a toy to put some pressure on my prostate, and this one just doesn't. At least, it doesn't if I do not push the handle down away from me quite hard, thus pushing the insertable part harder up against my prostate. Even this doesn't work as well as it might, since you can easily bend the toy to a right angle. I have to get it about that far before I start to feel some resistance, and thus some pressure. What I usually end up doing is reaching around behind myself, and sort of pulling the handle up toward my back. But that position, frankly, isn't all that comfortable.
If you don't need or want that kind of pressure, then this will not be an issue for you. Even I'm willing to struggle with it from time to time, as I like other things about this toy. But I use it a lot less than I otherwise might, for those reasons.


Conclusion

As I said, my feelings about this toy are mixed. It's perfectly possible to have fun with it. I really do like the variety in the vibration patterns. But it's too difficult for me to get it positioned properly, due to the curve's being too gentle and the toy's being too flexible. So, overall, I find it hard to recommend it with reservation. But I do find myself getting it out once in a while....


Where To Buy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but are moderated. You wouldn't believe the kinds of nasty things people will say about this topic. (Sadly, you probably would.)